Contract Signing Statements
This Housing and Food Service Contract (“HFS Contract”), made effective on the date of signature below, is a legally binding agreement between The Pennsylvania State University (“University”), a state-related institution and instrumentality of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania subject to the Pennsylvania nonprofit corporation laws and the above-named individual (“Student”) for an assignment in University-owned residential spaces (“University housing”).
- Term. The Term of this HFS Contract is for the academic semesters identified in the HFS Contract offer. Specified dates for occupancy during the academic semesters will be finalized and posted at www.arrival.psu.edu no less than six weeks before the Contract Term begins. A student must select the Break Access/Holiday Housing option when accepting the HFS Contract in order to occupy their assigned housing during the official University closures for Fall Break (late November), Winter Break (late December/early January, if offered) and Spring Break (early March). Specific dates for such closures can be found at behrendcampusliving.psu.edu/important-dates.
- Eligibility. To be eligible for residence in University housing, the student must be scheduled for courses as a degree-seeking student and at least 16 years of age during period of occupancy. Non-degree-seeking students will be eligible for residence only as space allows.
- Campus Meal Plan Required. A student residing in University housing that does not include a personal full-size kitchen isrequired to purchase the University’s Campus Meal Plan for the term of this HFS Contract unless an exemption is granted under Section VI(b). For more information about the Campus Meal Plan, please visit behrendcampusliving.psu.edu/campus-meal-plan.
- Rates and Payment for Housing and Campus Meal Plan. In consideration for an assignment in University housing and a Campus Meal Plan, the student agrees to pay the University the rates specified for the student's assigned housing and selected Campus Meal Plan as announced, or as they may be adjusted by, the Board of Trustees for The Pennsylvania State University. Room and board rates are finalized by late March and available at www.hfs.psu.edu/rates. For purposes of guidance only, previous rates for housing and Campus Meal Plans can be found at on this site. Payment will be made in accordance with the University billing schedule established by the Bursar and can be found at http://bursar.psu.edu/tuition-due-dates.
- Terms, Conditions and Regulations (“TCRs”). Every academic year, the University publishes the “Terms, Conditions and Regulations of the University Housing and Food Service Contract” (hereinafter referred to as “TCRs”), which is a document that details additional terms to the HFS Contract as well as rules and regulations on use of University housing. The student acknowledges their understanding that TCRs is a legally binding adjunct document that is hereby incorporated into the HFS Contract. The student acknowledges and agrees to read and abide by the TCRs as if it was directly included in the HFS Contract. TCRs are available at behrendcampusliving.psu.edu/terms-and-conditions.
- Housing Assignment. The student understands that the housing assignment preferences provided to the University are not binding and that the University does not guarantee the assignment of a particular residence hall or room, or assignment of a particular roommate. The University reserves the right to make all assignments and any assignment changes considered necessary during the HFS Contract Term. The student also understands that in order for the University to accommodate occupancy overflow, the student may be assigned to supplemental housing. Supplemental housing is comprised of non-traditional living spaces (e. g., residence hall lounges) that are converted into permanent living spaces. For more information on supplemental housing please visit behrendcampusliving.psu.edu/supplemental-housing.
- Housing Accommodations Request: If a student has a disability that may require a reasonable accommodation, the student understands that they may submit a Reasonable Accommodation Request Form for Housing and submit it to the Housing and Food Services Office in accordance with the University established deadlines. For more information on Housing Accommodations, please visit behrendcampusliving.psu.edu/medical-accommodations.
- Meals Accommodation Request: A student who has a special dietary requirements that cannot be fulfilled by individual selection from the menu choices, available at menu.hfs.psu.edu, the student is responsible for contacting the Registered Dietitian prior to accepting the HFS Contract. If the University is unable to provide reasonable accommodations (including housing reassignment), the student may be exempt from the Campus Meal Plan in accordance with the procedures provided in the TCRs.
- Roommates: The student understands that unless a mutual roommate request is made, the University will randomly match students to reside together. Even if a mutual roommate request is made, there is no guarantee of an assignment with a specific individual. The student acknowledges and understands the process and timeline for submitting a roommate request, and how requests will be handled by Housing and Food Services, as outlined at behrendcampusliving.psu.edu/roommates.
- Financial Statement. The student authorizes University to apply any financial aid received toward charges assessed to the student account. University may continue to apply student aid funds for this purpose until the student rescinds this authorization, which may be done at any time by contacting the Office of the Bursar.
- Meningococcal Vaccination Statement. The student understands that all University students residing in University housing are required to comply with the Pennsylvania College and University Vaccination Act. This Act requires that students be vaccinated against meningococcal disease or qualify for an exemption. By accepting the HFS Contract, the student confirms that they are aware of the requirements, which can be found at https://studentaffairs.psu.edu/health-wellness/medical-services/immunizations, and will be in compliance prior to arrival.
- Housing Deposit. The student understands that the $100 Housing Deposit submitted with the acceptance of offer of admission to the University will not be refunded to the student if the student does not enroll and attend the University. If the student attends the University, the housing deposit will be applied to the student account as a $100 credit for the room charge.
- Liability and Insurance. The student agrees to hold the University and its agents and employees harmless from all damage, injury, liability, or loss sustained by the student or others in the student’s room that results from the negligent or intentional misuse of the room by the student or others in the room. The student also agrees to release and hold harmless the University and its employees for any liability for loss, theft or damage to personal property of the student in any University housing, including parking lots. Since the University does not provide property insurance, the student is encouraged to maintain appropriate insurance coverage for personal property.
- Contract Cancellation or Release.
- Failure to Enroll. The HFS Contract may be cancelled if the student does not attend or enroll at the University during the term of the HFS Contract.
- Extreme Circumstances. The University may release a student from the HFS Contract if the student submits a timely Contract Cancellation Request in eLiving and, on a case-by-case basis, the University finds that extreme circumstances warrant a release. If the student is released from the HFS Contract under this provision prior to the first day of the University classes, as announced by the University Registrar, for the HFS Contract period term, the student will be charged a penalty fee equal to twenty percent (20%) of the applicable room and Campus Meal Plan rates for the entire contract period. If the student is released from the HFS Contract under this provision after the first day of the University classes, as announced by the University Registrar, for the HFS Contract period term, the student will be charged for room and Campus Meal Plan charges incurred up to the date of the cancellation or when the student has removed all personal belongings from the assigned housing and returned an assigned room key, whichever occurs last. Room and Campus Meal Plan base fee charges are calculated for the applicable academic semester by multiplying the number of days of occupation (identified as the begin date of the HFS Contract to the day that the student moved out and returned an assigned room key to the University) times the appropriate room rate and base fee. Unused Campus Meal Plan dining dollars in excess of $5.00 remaining on the date of the cancellation will be refunded at face value to the student's LionPATH account..
- Withdrawal or Academic Drop. If a student withdraws from the University, submits a leave of absence, or is academically suspended by the University, the student is no longer eligible to live in University Housing. For withdrawals and leave of absence, the student is responsible for following University guidelines so that the student's LionPATH account is updated and all classes are cancelled. When the withdrawal, leave of absence, or suspension occurs prior to the beginning of the contract period, the student's HFS Contract will be cancelled with no penalty. If a student processes a withdrawal after the first day of the University classes, as announced by the University Registrar, for the HFS Contract period term, the student will be charged for room and Campus Meal Plan charges incurred up to the date of the cancellation or when the student has removed all personal belongings from the assigned housing and returned an assigned room key, whichever occurs last. Room and Campus Meal Plan base fee charges are calculated for the applicable academic semester by multiplying the number of days of occupation (identified as the begin date of the HFS Contract to the day that the student moved out and returned the room key to the University) times the appropriate room rate and base fee. Unused Campus Meal Plan dining dollars in excess of $5.00 remaining on the date of the cancellation will be refunded at face value to the student's LionPATH account..
- Transfer of Obligation. The University may release the student from the HFS Contract if the student is able to successfully transfer this HFS Contract to another eligible student in accordance with the procedures and regulations delineated in the TCRs, within the timeframe specified by the University.
- University-Sanctioned Academic Activity. The University may release the student from the HFS Contract if the student submits a timely Contract Cancellation Request based on a University-sanctioned academic activity that will require the student to be away from campus (e. g., practicum, study abroad, internship).
- Contract Termination by the University.
The University may terminate the HFS Contract and require the student to vacate University housing if the student (1) does not meet the eligibility requirements; (2) violates any term or condition of this Contract, the Student Code of Conduct or any other University rule or policy; (3) fails to satisfy in a timely manner all financial obligations to the University; (4) engages in conduct that disregards the rights of other residents or jeopardizes their own or others’ safety and/or well-being, or otherwise disrupts the housing environment; or (5) if the Student’s conduct and/or proven criminal record indicates a potential threat or danger to the student or the University community. In certain circumstances, the student may be entitled to a fair and equitable hearing by the Senior Director of Residence Life or their designee prior to termination. In the event of termination, Student is liable for Housing and Campus Meal Plan charges incurred through the date of termination and for any other damages or losses resulting from the student’s violation of the HFS Contract.
The University further reserves the exclusive right to cancel or change students’ assignments in the event that health or safety conditions require such cancellation or reassignment to ensure a proper educational environment or safeguard the health and safety of individuals or the campus community. In the event of termination, the student is liable for room and Campus Meal Plan charges incurred through the date of HFS Contract termination..