Housing and Food Services is committed to reducing waste and recycling. Single-stream recycling containers are located in each residence hall room and in dining areas for residents and guests; single-stream recycling allows all items collected to be mixed in a collection truck instead of being sorted into separate types and handled separately throughout the collection process. In single-stream, both the collection and processing systems are designed to handle this mix of recyclables, with materials being separated for reuse at a materials recovery facility. To ensure a successful recycling program, please follow the guidelines for single-stream recycling.
- Metal Cans - Steel, tin, and aluminum soda, vegetable, fruit, and tuna cans
- Plastic Bottles & Containers #1-5 and 7
- Paper: Brown paper bags, non-confidential office paper, newspaper, and magazines
- Paper Cardboard, Dairy, and Juice Containers
- Flattened Cardboard and Paperboard
- Glass Bottles and Jars
Do not place the following items in recycling containers:
- Food waste
- Plastic bags
- Polystyrene foam cups and containers
To make sure quality material is recycled:
- Paper and cardboard must be dry and free of food debris
- Paper food containers must be rinsed out.
- Tissues, paper towels, or other paper that has been in contact with food is not accepted.
- All containers must be empty.
- Do not include caps from plastics or cans.
- Keep medical waste out of recycling containers.